China has released a Measure of Supervision and Administration for Cosmetic Manufacturing and Operations as a supplement to the Cosmetics Supervision and Administration Regulation for the cosmetics industry.
China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) issued Notice No. 46, namely a Measure of Supervision and Administration for Cosmetic Manufacturing and Operations. This newly released regulation consists of 7 chapters, totally 66 articles. Key updates include:
- Optimization of the production license procedure, a notification and commitment system is implemented for the continuation of production license
- Clarification of the classification principles of production license projects and highlighting the special production conditions for children’s skin care products and cosmetics for eyes
- Introduction of a requirement for enterprises to implement a quality and safety responsibility system, in terms of production management
- Refinement of the label management requirements, and further clarification of the requirements for false publicity and illegal product claims used to promote cosmetics
- Clarification of the obligations of beauty salons and hotels when using cosmetics in business services or providing cosmetics to consumers
- Strengthening of the responsibilities and obligations of e-commerce platforms, centralized trading markets, trade fairs and other platforms. E-commerce platforms need to setup a department for quality management or recruit a person who has capabilities in cosmetic quality management and has knowledge of cosmetic safety and regulations. Inspections are highly recommended for e-commerce platforms
This new regulation will enter into force on January 1, 2022.