WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
This case study replicates the previous finding by Veenhuis et al., 2021, of a positive effect of NR supplementation in children and adults with AT. Also, this case study includes one of the youngest individuals supplemented with NR, adding to the growing research of NR use in children.
STUDY LINK & SUMMARY:
Steinbruecker et al., 2022. “Nicotinamide Riboside for Ataxia Telangiectasia: Report of an Early Treated Individual.”
A case study to investigate the effect of NR at a dose of 25mg/kg body weight/day in a 3.5-year-old male child with AT and recurrent bacterial infections.
- No adverse effects occurred.
- Neurological examination after 7 and 11 months of NR supplementation showed clearer and more fluid speech and improvement in fine motor skills compared to baseline.
- Use of antibiotics and frequency of hospitalizations due to infections were reduced by more than 90% compared to before supplementation.
- This study replicates the previous finding of a positive effect of NR supplementation in 24 AT patients.
- The authors stated that given the absence of adverse effects, they strongly encourage considering NR supplementation in all individuals with ataxia telangiectasia.